Thursday, September 11, 2008

Assignment and New Book!

Book we've read, book we shall read....

Last night was a great chat, ladies! We had fun conversations and actually discussed some of the book club topics, like our upcoming author chat (soon to be scheduled) and what we'll read next! Deets from the chat follow:

First, several of us have finished the most recent book club assignment, and many more are in the middle of reading or are about to get started (you KNOW who you are). Simplicity has been in contact with Alexis Morgan and we will be scheduling the chat shortly after September 24, as she is booked up until then. SO...that means we all need to get the book finished by September 24! Also, a little assignment for everyone: let's each come up with two questions that we want to ask Alexis in the chat, we can discuss them and get ourselves organized prior to the actual author chat. We will also have our own discussion about the book prior to the author chat and might be able to hash out some more relevant questions to impress Ms. Morgan with our wit and incredible observations!

Second, we have picked the next book for reading! YAY! And it turns out not to be any of those in my poll (gee, with the overwhelming number of 8 votes, how could I do this?), but I think this will be a fun and exciting change for us! Our next book will be Beguilement (The Sharing Knife #1) by Lois Mcmaster Bujold. Her website is here: http://www.dendarii.com/. We have plenty of time for this book, so never fear. I will post the synopsis in the next week or so.

Third, we all have been reading many different things on the side. I'd like to recommend a few of these books and please feel free to add comments as to what you would recommend as well. I am starting Stephen King's Dark Tower Series, with book #1, The Gunslinger. True*Love is supposed to be reading this with me (*cough*she better*cough*). This is a fantasy series by Mr. King, not horror. He is so brilliant at taking his reader on such a mind trip, if you have not read him before (I have read at least a dozen of his books) then I suggest you give this a try. I have also read the PC and Kristen Cast House of Night series, including Marked, Betrayed and Chosen. The 4th book in the series, Untamed, is set to be released on 9/23. This series just gets better and better with each book. Nalini Singh's Psy-Changling series, starting with Slave to Sensation is also very good and HOT! I have read the first two in that series, there are now 4. SSVD has been reading Jacquelyn Frank's Nightwalker series, beginning with Jacob, and I have heard these are very, very good also, although I have yet to partake of them myself. So, not that I believe this is possible, but if you are ever want for a new read, visit here. You can even comment asking for new book suggestions, and I'm sure any number of us can quickly suggest 20 more! HA!

Finally, I will be moving this blog over to an actual website during the next couple of weeks, courtesy of our beloved Geo. I will have blog posts still, and also book club based message boards for our favorite series, so that no matter if you have read Sookie 1 or all of them, you will have a place to chat.

Phew! On a personal note, my daughter was notified today that she has been cast in the Nutcracker modern dance performance! YAY! She will be so excited and I will be sure to let you all know how that goes. Oh, and if you hear of an arrest of a mother in Indiana for assaulting a first grader on my son's football team during the next week, you'll know where that came from...

Love and hugs to you all!

Blue

5 comments:

Dutley said...

Sounds like a plan, I've got the next one on hold at the library an I'm to hash out some Viking love lore.
I love the organization of our club it feels so official now.
Thanks Teak for the Release list can't wait to start expanding my reading horizons.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for all your hard work BLUE!!! I know once your website opens, we will have the most wonderful indepth discussions involving so many of the fantastic books we've read and one's we will read in the future.
I'm so happy you're reading The Gunslinger and the Wikipedia entry is right on! These books are not horror, but magical. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Hugs!!!
Mandy

Anonymous said...

can i request..."How to get drunk and get skunk smell out of your house and your dog while NOT haveing a breakdown at 4am!?

Other than that! I love that everything is updated! you go BLUE!
and call if you need bail money!
I shall get to reading asap!
~Diz

Kayla said...

I finished Dark Warrior today! I've got to admit that this supernatural Viking this is hot! I'll go put our next book on hold today!

Shelley said...

YAY! Thanks for the props, ladies! Diz - where do you come up with this stuff? HAHAHA! Kayla, I am SO proud of you for finishing the book so quickly (now go over to the big city and kick TL's butt for me, would ya?) And Roland - yes, same character. I love, love "Eyes of the Dragon" (well, except the booger part) but yes, I have heard that Roland and some of the other Dark Tower series characters are woven throughout the rest of the King 'verse. I am LOVING The Gunslinger, I must say.

Hugs to you all!